Thursday 28 June 2012

Fight or flight





I had my first real sale experience on the day Selfridges launched theirs at 8 in the morning.  At first, when I walked past the store at 8:15, it seemed really empty and I was not sure if anyone was already in the building, so when I finally convinced myself I would not be alone, and I walked through the doors, there was a just a feeling that is quite inexplicable and unusual.  There is a certain tension in the air, women quietly rushing through the aisles and mountains of bags and shoes, careful not to attract any attention whilst they cunningly rummage through the piles to make a good catch.  On the other hand there are those whose excitement seemingly overflows, having come in groups to strategically work through the offers.  I thought this would be the perfect time to find some good deals, and I wanted to be there early so that I had enough time to choose wisely.  What I had not expected was the tremendous feeling of pressure that I got as everything I looked at did not seem to be 'the' perfect bargain, and so I ran from one floor to the other, from one pile of clothes to the next pile of shoes and I absolutely could not decide what I wanted and was simply just overwhelmed by the countless possibilities I faced.  Eventually I phoned my mum and told her I was in desperate need of her assistance as this endeavour was not one I could complete alone.  As she hurried to join me, I had picked out a short sleeved Missoni cardigan I had my eye one for a while now, and I was delighted to see the 50% off sign posted above it.  After another while closely examining every corner of the department store, my mum had enough and went home, leaving me to enter the one area I had spared; Christian Louboutin!  Without a doubt, this area resembled an inferno and when I finally managed to get my hands on a pair of espadrille sandals, they were placed into their dust bag and nicely boxed and wrapped, I was quite satisfied!  It really is an experience being at a sale like this and taking part in this most carefully planned chaos.  So here are my espadrilles, and I will post my Missoni cardigan in the next few weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment